Thursday, August 10, 2006

thanks, Mom

In high school, my mother forced me to take a class called "keyboarding" where we sat around each day learning how to type with some quirky qwerty computer program. I remember protesting (loudly) that I didn't want to waste WEEKS of my time in such a "stupid" class. (Yes, I am positive I said it was "stupid".) I remember embarassment for even BEING in that class. And boredom from a dry instructor and finishing lessons without time to go on to the next.
: : : : : : : :
Today, as I was typing an email to an escrow agent at a title company, my bossed walked by and spoke of his marvel at folks who could type so quickly. It brought me back to my high school protestations and quickly through years of short essays, L O N G term papers, entering the joyful world of email and my side work over the last 5 years proofing documents. . . .back to my present office job ( a humble salaried position),

My mother was wise. I was immature.
Thank a parent today for something they made you do when you were young.

No comments: